People use Skype to stay in touch with their family, friends, loved ones, and even their colleagues. It has evolved a lot with time. You can use its latest feature Meet Now for quickly creating a meeting. However, it might fail to install an update on your PC sometimes with error 1638. So, unless you fix Skype installation error code 1638, you won’t be able to enjoy its features.
Usually, the error message reads “Installing Skype failed; Error code 1638”. Initially, you might try to uninstall the program and download the latest version again. However, the error message will still appear. You can go to Control Panel > Programs and Features and look for Skype, to see if it is actually installed or not.
SEE ALSO: 3 Ways to Use Skype on a Chromebook?
Fix Skype Installation Error Code 1638 in Windows
Why does this error message occur? We don’t normally have a correct answer. However, usually, it is when a program is being uninstalled or upgraded and the installation or uninstallation has been interrupted and did not get fully completed. It results in corrupted files and registry entries which affect the functioning of the program.
We have explained the process in two steps here. You need to follow both of them to avoid the “Skype installation error message 1638” to appear:
Step 1: Uninstalling Skype using the Command line:
You can manually uninstall Skype by the following steps:
- Open up Command Prompt with administrative privileges
- Then go to “C:\Program Files\Skype” and run the
dircommand to list the contents of the Skype folder.
- Select and open the first folder with the name similar to “7F051EAD89204D1008D517DCAFCCBCA4BF49F1B1”.
- To open the folder, you can run the following command:
- Then run the following command inside the folder:
msiexec /x skype.msi
NOTE: If the “C:\Program Files\Skype” directory doesn’t exist, move to the second step.
Step 2: Using Microsoft Troubleshooter to Fix Registry Entries for Skype
If the Skype registry entries are corrupted then you will need to use this tool to remove all corrupt entries:
- Firstly you will need to download Microsoft Install Uninstall troubleshooter. Click the link and download the troubleshooter from the official website.
- After downloading it, just run the program. No configuration is required, the tool will automatically detect and fix the issues in the system. You just need to follow on-screen instructions.
- Once done, install the latest version of Skype again on the system and the error message should not appear.
Solve Skype Installation Error (1638) with Ease
Hope the above guide helps you fix the Skype installation error on Windows. In case you are still facing the problems, feel free to drop your queries and suggestions in the comment section below.